Monday, April 20, 2009

Worth Words

One of the first poems I ever knew was 'Daffodils' by William Wordsworth. If I concentrate hard, I'm sure I could still recite most of it. I probably learned it when I was 11 or 12 years old as it is a standard favorite in Indian schools. I even remember taking part in a poetry recitation/elocution contest in the 5th grade where I recited it. I came in second or third and got my first ever certificate for anything.

The funny thing is I had never actually seen a darned daffodil. In the tradition of many British references I grew up with (thanks to Enid Blyton and Wodehouse), there was no context to this poem in my real life.

So imagine my delight when a couple of days ago I was wandering around school reveling in the onset of Spring and suddenly came upon these beautiful yellow flowers.

Finally, almost two decades later-daffodils!



Here's the thing- I immediately knew that these were daffodils- solely from the description in the poem. Well done Wordsworth.



I wonder how many kids in India and around the world still learn this poem and wonder what the hell a daffodil looks like. Thanks to the internet, they may no longer have to wait!

Now, if only I could find out what kippers are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey this just shows you are not really observant about some things....daffodills have been around yu for ages (just think back on spring in vienna). but i am glad you have woken up to the beauty of flowers and these in particular. welcome back to the blog. i have missed it.