Saturday, August 23, 2008

Guilty Conscience

As I recently found out to my dismay, reading blogs or even newsmagazines is not considered a very scholarly thing to do. So even Daniel Drezner's quite excellent IR blog is now a guilty pleasure. So this makes this post doubly furtive, as I'm taking off from his response to the ipod guilty pleasures meme. As anyone who knows me well knows, I C-A-N N-O-T resist making lists of anything so of course this is a must do.

Now most people would consider most of my ipod full of really mainstream music with overly pop-sensibilities. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a hook and melody.

But there are some songs that make me cringe a little in public and that I tried to hastily justify last semester when a student asked to scroll through my ipod (much to the class's amusement)...So...

Here are my 3 guiltiest pleasures: 

1. N'sync- Bye Bye Bye (Relentlessly catchy)
2. Celine Dion- A new day has come (yes truly CRINGE worthy but...what a voice)
3. That guilty pleasure classic- Backstreet Boys 'I want it that way' which is really just a great song.

I'm hoping that in a few years these will be pleasantly ironic haha songs that we look back on fondly. Yes New York Times, I misused the word ironic. Which brings me to another guilty pleasure- that Alanis Morissette song which apparently did not contain one truly ironic thing. 

No comments: